A large family from Bartow County in Georgia lost their house due to an electrical fire. Nine of them lived in the house, including the family dog. Thanks to a quick-thinking kindergarten boy, none of them perished.
Five-year-old Noah Woods was sleeping soundly in the room that he shared with his two-year-old sister Lilly. Their dog also frequently stayed with them. Then suddenly, the little boy was awakened by the smell of smoke. he looked around, and he saw that the wall near their door was on fire.
An electrical outlet was overloaded and it short-circuited. While most small kids would panic and start shouting, Noah calmly got into action. He first woke up his little sister and led her to their window. He then helped her get out.
Despite the smoke getting thicker, Noah went back for the dog. He knew that their pet wouldn’t be able to escape by himself. Once the dog was outside, Noah lifted himself out the window and got out as well.
As soon as they were safe, Noah ran next door to their uncle’s house to get help. As soon as his uncle realized the gravity of the situation, he rushed over to the burning house and helped everyone get out.
By the time the firefighters arrived, everyone was safely outside. No one was seriously injured. Noah and four other family members were treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation.
A young hero
For his actions, Noah was given the prestigious Lifesaving Award and made an honorary firefighter by the Bartow County Fire Department. The Bartow County Commission also declared February 14 as Noah Woods day.
Everyone was impressed by the courage that the young boy showed in a time when a lot of people would have not known what to do. He certainly deserves all the recognition that comes his way. Including the gratitude of his beloved pooch.